Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gluten-Free Ham Glaze

I am a pork lover. I love any iteration of pork, but especially bacon and ham. I refuse to accept that ham can only be eaten around Christmas, so I asked my husband to pick up a good 10 lbs-er when at the grocery store. He picked up a gluten-free brand, but neither of us thought about the glaze that would go on the ham. After a little research, I found out that most glaze packets are made with wheat. Boo-urns. The best part of a ham is the crackly glaze, and my mother's pineapple topping just didn't do that crackly thing.

So I started experimenting. Ham went into the oven at 275, tightly covered with tin foil, at about 15 mins per pound. And here's the glaze that I used:

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp yellow or Dijon mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

I took the ham out and uncovered it about half an hour before it was ready. I whisked it all together and spooned it over the ham, then popped it back in at 300 without the tin foil.

The result? A wonderfully crackly and perfectly savory-sweet glaze to go with the ham. I plan to use this versatile glaze the next time I broil up some salmon or some pork chops, too.

Obviously, we didn't just eat ham. We had some brown rice, and I fine chopped some fresh Brussels sprouts to pair with the sweet and salty ham. I cooked them down in EVOO and salt, with some grated garlic, then deglazed the pan with some apple cider vinegar. It paired really nicely with the ham glaze!

No comments:

Post a Comment