Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Zaftig's = Wonderful

I have been TERRIBLE about keeping up with the blog, and I am sorry!! I went into tech week for my play and things went downhill from there in terms of time management, so blogging just wasn't going to happen. No excuses, I know.

But I'm back! And I have lots to tell you, starting with great news -- Zaftig's now carries gluten free bagels and buns! I had a wonderful gravlax plate with a toasted gluten free bagel, and it was everything I dreamed of and more. I really respect that they understand what celiac disease is to begin with, and even considers it right down to the vinegars used. Many restaurants I've been to don't seem to understand how sensitive some of us are, and the dire consequences if we ingest even the tiniest bit. There was a server at a nice restaurant, one of my favorites, who said "well.. can't you eat around it?" More on that in another blog post, but needless to say, I was furious. No, I can't just eat around it! Yeesh. I can't blame the restaurant for bad service, but it makes me not trust the kitchen if this is the idiot who's taking my order.

It's hard to trust restaurants to begin with. I was recently in Orlando for a work event, and I got contaminated by the Hilton Orlando, even though the server had spoken to the chef and everyone seemed to be well-educated on celiac disease. I had the shrimp and grits with chorizo... well, the chorizo (I'm guessing) wasn't gluten free, as I learned a few hours later while I curled up on the bathroom floor puking my guts out. It was the typical "I've been contaminated" reaction, and it ruined my trip. My boss made up for it by taking us to Disney World... more on that in a later blog, too! Needless to say, Disney is quite possibly the greatest place in the world when it comes to food allergies.

Sorry to tease two very exciting future blog posts, but I promise to write them up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment