Thursday, November 6, 2014

Gluten-Free Gravy

If I could cover everything I ever ate in gravy, I would. Gravy is just that good. It's my favorite part of Thanksgiving, as it's basically the glue that holds the entire meal together. I pour it over everything I possibly can, and it makes me sad that I can't have it in restaurants anymore (for the most part... Liberty Tree Tavern in Disney does have a gluten-free gravy). So I now make my own! This is something that's super simple and super delicious, and way better than what you can get in a can. 

Simple Thanksgiving Gravy

2 tbsp brown rice flour
Drippings from the roasted turkey (use butter or olive oil for a vegetarian/vegan version)
1 box of turkey broth
Salt and pepper
Gluten-free soy sauce

Pour the drippings from the roasted turkey into a clear pitcher or glass. Wait until the liquid and the fat separates, then use a spoon to scoop out the fat (or pour it off). Put the fat into a saucepan over medium heat, and add the flour.


Stir the flour until it forms a paste (also known as a roux), and add salt and pepper. Once the paste begins to brown, add a small amount of what’s left of thr turkey drippings, a half of a cup at a time. Whisk the roux into the broth until fully mixed, then add more broth. If you run out, use the boxed broth. Repeat until the gravy has reached your desired consistency. Add a splash of gluten-free soy sauce to boost the flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment