Friday, October 3, 2014

False Negative Celiac Blood Tests: They Do Happen

When my brother was first diagnosed with celiac disease, the rest of the family had to be tested. I was terrified and convinced that I was going to have it, and when the blood test came back negative, I was thrilled. But my problems continued happening, so I was tested again. Negative.

A few years later, my gastroenterologist decided to try again, as I continued to have progressively worse symptoms. Lo and behold, it was positive, and the biopsy showed significant damage, visible to the naked eye.

What does this mean? I have no idea. All I know is that I had two separate blood tests (during which I consumed gluten regularly) and they both came back negative.

The takeaway from this is do NOT stop testing. Anytime you get your blood drawn for a physical, it doesn't hurt to say, "hey, would you mind testing for celiac again?"

No comments:

Post a Comment